August 23, 2011

We Will Never Forget

In a couple weeks, Americans will wake up to a somber litany of news and television specials. The 10th anniversary of the horrific events of 9/11 will undoubtedly bring painful memories rushing back to our consciousness.

Yahoo! has set up a collection of stories from everyday Americans who live every moment in remembrance of the terrorist attacks. After watching a few of the videos and reading the stories, it became impossible not to write about them. Take a look by clicking the link above...but keep a box of tissues handy!

I remember the morning the news broke as if it were today. I was just starting the 7th grade, and I had just arrived to my drama class. One of the "class clowns" rushed into class and told me the World Trade Center was hit. At the time, I had no idea what the World Trade Center was, nor did I have any clue as to what such an attack meant. I remembered the Columbine shooting, and in my young mind, I thought it must be something similar, only it was someone's office building that was hit. I didn't understand that the "office building" was a source of pride among so many Americans, nor did I understand just how deeply this would wound the public.

When I got home from school, after having listened to live coverage in each class that day, and watching a few students being called to the office (I later found out they had family in New York or at the Pentagon), I had to babysit. I remember the scope of the attacks were just beginning to sink in, and I wasn't sure what that meant for my own safety. I think the most heartbreaking moment of that day, for me, was hearing the little girl I was babysitting ask me, "are we going to be ok?" How was I supposed to answer that? I barely knew how to process what was happening, let alone how to explain to a kindergartner that she should not be scared...How could I? I was scared, and I'm sure I wasn't very convincing when I told her she had nothing to worry about.

I've never given blood, but this year, even though it seems small, I'm going to get over my hesitations and march to the nearest donation center. We may not be able to fully heal the wounds of those who lost family and friends that day, but maybe we can help someone heal now. What if every one of us donated a pint of blood, volunteered for an organization providing aid to our veterans, or gave to a cause supporting the families of the 9/11 victims? Imagine the good that could still come of the tragedy 10 years ago.

May we never forget, may we always hold our loved ones dear, may we stand together, one nation, undivided.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog--seriously, you're awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...