November 16, 2011

Movie Review: Immortals

Last night, I saw Immortals, and it was GREAT. Usually, I'm not a huge fan of 300-like movies, don't get me wrong, I'll watch them, but given the choice, I'd most likely pass.

Over the years, I've had my fair share of Greek mythology lessons in school, but unfortunately I don't remember quite enough to attest to the accuracy of this story (sorry, sophomore year English...), but it was certainly entertaining. The gods were impressively dressed in shimmery gold ensembles which highlighted their "good guy" roles. The Titans, the "bad guys," were dark, dirty figures, appropriately hinting to their threatening presence.

The cinematography was incredible, the way the scenes seamlessly transitioned from one to the next was nearly flawless, and definitely creative. Unique camera angles lent the movie an added plus, as they allowed for a different perspective of the story in a way that made me want to look over my shoulder for the enemy lurking in the corner.

I will say there was a lot of blood, so this is definitely not a movie for kids. I'll admit I closed my eyes a few times so I wouldn't have to see the carnage on the screen, so keep that in mind.

On a more superficial note, the 2 hour no-shirt fest provided quite a bit of eye candy for the ladies, though that by no means made the movie as great as it is. I'm more of a story person than a "look, that's my favorite shirtless actor, who cares if he can barely spit out his lines?!" person. But seriously, look at the picture to the right. Yowza.

That aside, I definitely recommend you check out this movie, and if you really, really can't make it to theaters, definitely keep it on your rent-when-it-comes-out list!

4 comments:

  1. It’s probably one of the best-looking films of the whole year (yet, I still haven’t seen Tree of Life) and the action is awesome and in-you-face which is something I always like. The story dragged on a bit and I couldn’t help but think that if the writing was a tweaked a little better, this would have definitely been a very solid film. Instead it was just fun and pretty to look at. Good review. Check out mine when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the review, Dan :) I agree that the writing could have used a little improvement, but at the same time, I think the visual aspect made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I did check out your review and commented there as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who are you trying to fool Liz? I know your favorite character in the movie was Mickey Rourke ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog--seriously, you're awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...