August 25, 2011

What Are You Listening To?

I think it's fair to say that I listen to a wide variety of music, minus heavy metal...that kind of scares me. I'm one of those people whose music must coordinate with mood. If I'm happy, I absolutely cannot stand listening to "Debbie Downer" music or music that's full of angry rockers... nope, it's just not for me. However, when I'm stressed out, rock is great, and I have to ease myself into a better mood by gradually increasing the tempo of the music I have playing.

Lately, I've been in a "coffee shop mood" as I like to call it. Mellow is my thing right now. Calm, soothing, "drinking a latte and reading a good book" music. Of course, that's when I'm not in a  "it's summertime, I need a good drink, a body of water, and bonfire on the beach" mood, which leads to country music (yes, I know, how could I? Trust me, it's new for me too).

Here are a few recommendations:
1. Stevie Wonder-- I love him. On vinyl, it's as if he were singing to me from the heavens. I'd like him to sing me lullabies as I drift off to sleep...right after Morgan Freeman reads me a bedtime story. My favorite: For Once In My Life, that or One Little Christmas Tree

2. Adele-- She's got such a strong voice, it's amazing. Her Pandora station is great, and I've been spending the majority of my days with that pulled up on my computer and plugged into the speakers. My favorite: Set Fire to the Rain

 3. Jason Aldean-- This is where the country comes in. He's a little hick, but in such a good way. The country twang could mesmerize me for hours... and it does. I can't decide on a favorite, but for now: Dirt Road Anthem

4. Duffy-- Like Adele, her voice is strong, but this is a little different. Her music seems more raw, her voice more raspy. My favorite song? Warwick Avenue.

What's on your playlist?? I love new recommendations!!

5 comments:

  1. Time to get you listening to good music!! Here are ten awesome songs that you should try out

    1) Gimme Shelter (cover of Rolling Stones) by Puddle of Mudd
    2) Dance of the Manatee by Fair to Midland
    3) Say You'll Haunt Me by Stone Sour
    4) Slow Burn by Atreyu
    5) And One by Linkin Park
    6) Better by Pistol Day Parade
    7) Hero by Skillet
    8) Fallen by Volbeat
    9) Fire it up by Thousand Foot Krutch
    10) Mind Eraser, No Chaser by Them Crooked Vultures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like and listen to all of those three above, but less country these days so not much of Aldean. I've been on a heavy metal and baroque classical kick lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous-Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out :)

    A Beer for the Shower- interesting mix! I like the diversity you've got there...who is your favorite artist right now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I have some ideas for ya

    -The Detroit Cobras. They do garage rock covers of old motown/soul/top 40 hits

    -My Morning Jacket. They are both laid back and full of energy at the same time. Love this band, they remind of the open space of a pink floyd song but with the roots style and vague spiritual themes that George Harrison was known for.

    - The Soledad Brothers. This is my favorite band right now. Punk/Delta Blues and smart. This group is all energy

    -John Lee Hooker. He is the perfect blues man. Emotionally honest and distinct guitar sound. He's pretty laid back and not boring with long drawn out guitar solos for no reason.

    Broken Bells. Just give it a listen. If you like any of this stuff, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joey- Thanks for the recommendations! I had only heard of My Morning Jacket, actually. I checked out Broken Bells, and it was pretty sweet. It seems like they would be a good band to listen to for a road trip, as would The Soledad Brothers.

    I love the blues, so John Lee Hooker was great. He reminds me a little of B.B. King.

    All around, awesome suggestions--thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog--seriously, you're awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...