October 21, 2011

A True Love Story

In a time when the word "divorce" is all too common, stories of couples who were so clearly meant to be together are even more heart-warming.

Today's love story comes in the form of Norma and Gordon Yeager. The two were married 72 years before passing away in the hospital together--holding hands until the very end. Their children say Gordon stopped breathing first, but his heart continued beating, almost as if his heart was beating through hers in those final moments as they continued holding hands.

I'm no expert, but I believe that shows the power of love.

Like any other couple, the children said, the two had the occasional argument, but knew the life they were building together was bigger than all of that.

I'm not always sure if I believe there is an element of fate to relationships that feel "meant-to-be," but it's stories like this that make me feel there is simply no explanation beyond something far greater than all of us which guides us all. The thought that these two people loved until the very end is touching, but more amazing to me, is thinking about all the things that had to fall into place for them to meet, to fall in love, to marry.

What if one had been born just five miles from where they were? Would they ever have met? If they had, would their experiences in a slightly different life have brought them together, or prevented them from even becoming friends? What are the odds that something like this could happen completely based on coincidence? I'd say pretty tiny.

 It's like something Nicholas Sparks would write...in fact, that seems quite similar indeed to the movie The Notebook, which is arguably one of my favorites (for the record, the book is slightly different, definitely worth a read!).

As I'm watching the rain fall on this dreary fall day, this is a nice glimmer of inspiration. I can only hope that one day, when I'm too old to know who I am, I will have found peace in lasting love.

If you'd like to view the full story, please check out this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog--seriously, you're awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...