September 2, 2011

Lead With Responsibility

Recently, I read an article about members of Congress feeling that they don't receive enough pay.

Before I share my opinion on the matter, let's take a moment to remember that the members of Congress enjoy "$174,000 annual salary, generous health care and pensions, and perks for things like travel and mail."

I'm sorry, how many people enjoy those perks and benefits? Not many.

Let's talk about how many people live under the poverty line. According to the University of Michigan, that number was 14.3% of US citizens in 2009. Do the math. That's about 43 million in poverty. That doesn't include the number of people struggling to get by who live just above the poverty line. In 2010, 52 million people were without insurance.

Ok. Now tell me your insurance, pensions, and pay aren't quite enough.

It's called financial responsibility. If these Congressmen (and women) are living paycheck to paycheck as some claim to be, perhaps it's time to look at the mortgages, car payments, and credit card bills. Downsize, people. Heaven knows millions of Americans have had to do that in the last few years, especially.

For some, becoming a member of Congress meant a pay raise. What gives? How were you living before? Looks like it's time to go back to that lifestyle if you want to save up more money.

They have kids to put through college? So did my parents. I guarantee you they did not make that much money.  It's called student loans. I've got 'em, and so do millions of other twenty-somethings.

I'll admit I don't know their full stories, but honestly, I don't think this is the time for them to be asking for a pay raise. Remember that little thing called a default? That almost happened. Too soon, folks, too soon. Remember all those people who are unemployed? What about the people without power or homes because of hurricane Irene? Maybe it's the time to work on those issues.

After all, that's why they were elected, right? Too look out for our best interests? Hmmm...

Call me a cynic, but I'm a little annoyed at the irresponsibility of the government, and I suppose I don't have a lot of pity for them right now.


To read the original article click here.

What are your thoughts on the matter??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog--seriously, you're awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...