August 2, 2011

Oh, And One More Thing

While we're on the topic of the Royal Wedding, I should add that I fully intend on seeing Kate's wedding dress at some point. It is now number one on my List of Things To Do Before I Die. Anyone who could make this happen is strongly encouraged to inform me. Immediately.

Alright. I'll give it a rest, but only for now. As soon as the royal couple announces a pregnancy, you know I'll be writing about it. Don't say you weren't warned.

Today I find myself in the northern parts of the Motherland. It's the annual Grandma's Week, and it's our first full day at the little brown cabin that used to seem so big. You see, Grandma's Week is a special week. My grandparents only had granddaughters, so it was all very cutesy for many years. All the girls would head up to the cabin with Grammie and Poppa in the old blue station wagon, and once we arrived, we'd scurry across the busy highway to the beach and played on the rickety teeter-totters and metal slides. Those, of course, are now completely inappropriate in today's But My Child Can't Get a Skinned Knee, He'll Never Recover From Embarrassment society, and have since been removed, so you can rest easy knowing we won't have any skinned knees here.

Here's where it got fun those days. There were six of us a the time (my sister wasn't born yet. She's the first to tell you our lives weren't exciting until the day she graced us with her presence...) and since we were young, we washed our hair in the lake and all in all didn't mind only having one bathroom, which was primarily for the four adults. Now things are different. Now we're in our twenties and thirties, and we most definitely do care that we share (a much needed) second bathroom, because now there are great grandchildren. Don't get me wrong, they're adorable, I love seeing them when I can...but 16 people is a lot more than 10.

Grammie still asks about the "plays" we put on for the adults when we were kids (and teens), which ranged in both quality and subject matter (literally, from marriage to basketball stars on steroids). Needless to say, I feel at this point that I am a little old for parading around in old, beat up prom dresses from the 80s on the front porch of the little cabin for all to see. Traffic has been known to stop and watch these plays. I wish I was kidding.

I have no doubt that many stories will come out of this little excursion, so stay tuned. After all, who doesn't love the classic situation involving 15 (yes, there is 1 boy now) women, two bathrooms, and only 4 bedrooms? It can only lead to one thing: Thinking. About how much we really do need another bed.

2 comments:

  1. Is Reagan the one who has been complaining about the bathrooms the most? She does love her bathroom time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Actually, the girls washed their hair in the lake this morning! Libby pointed out that they still wouldn't be very clean, but otherwise, it's been easier than expected!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog--seriously, you're awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...